Feminists can catch a lot of flak today but honestly when feminism and fighting for your rights is done right, it can be a movement that not only inspires many to be better and to do better but also helps us as a society to push the envelope and progress in many ways. This might sound clichéd, but we definitely need to break that glass ceiling and smash the patriarchy, as well as stop propagating toxic masculinity which is a key element in topics such as women’s safety.
But don’t let me teach you everything there is to know about feminism. Here are some quotes from truly incredible people which will inspire and educate you, as well as give you a healthier understanding of all that feminism and feminists stand for.
1. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.” – Maya Angelou
2. “Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women.” – Maya Angelou
3. I am a feminist. I’ve been a female for a long time now. I’d be stupid not to be on my own side.” – Maya Angelou
4. “Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world.” – Marilyn Monroe
5. A woman knows by intuition, or instinct, what is best for herself.” – Marilyn Monroe
6. “It’s never too late to check yourself and right your wrongs. I used to be slut shamey, judgmental, and my feminism wasn’t intersectional enough. Nobody is born perfectly “woke.” Listen, read, learn, grow, change, and made room for everyone. We aren’t free til’ ALL of us are free.” – Jameela Jamil
7. A girl doesn’t need anyone that doesn’t need her.” – Marilyn Monroe
8. “Fighting women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man hating. This has to stop.” – Emma Watson
9. “Girls are not machines that you put kindness coins into and sex falls out.” – Sylvia Plath
10. “As a child, I never heard one woman say to me “I love my body.” Not my mother, my eldest sister, my best friend. No one woman has ever said, “I’m so proud of my body.” So I make sure to say it to Mia [her daughter] because a positive physical outlook has to start at an early age.” – Kate Winslet
11. “All men should be feminists. If men care about women’s rights, the world will be a better place. We are better off when women are empowered.” – John Legend
12. “I think we are so deeply entrenched in a patriarchal mindset, that men are as much victims of patriarchy as women are. When we can shake that off, that is what a feminist would be, whether a man or a woman.” – Shabana Azmi
13. “Women are strong. Women can do anything. Come out and struggle for your rights; nothing can happen without your voice. Do not wait for me to do something for your rights. It’s your world, and you can change it.” – Malala Yousafzai
14. “Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive. Both men and women should feel free to be strong.” – Emma Watson
15. “If you stand for equality, then you’re a feminist. Sorry to tell you.” – Emma Watson
Please share this post with anyone who can appreciate or benefit from hearing some wise words from the mouths of feminists!